Site Design and Construction : Colin Moore
© WersiClub International
Wersi Direct has produced a set of OAS Software Expansion Packs in addition to the Wersi-produced titles available for activation in OAS-7. The list of Wersi Direct titles can be found below. Each Pack contains a set of Total Presets which can be imported into the Wersi instrument and played straightaway. Extensive use has been made of all the settings provided within the OAS to produce sounds which are quite unique, yet they are all accessible to the user to adjust further if required, as with any Total Preset.
List of Titles
Big Band Vol 1
Drawbars Vol 1
Drawbars Vol 2
Franz Lambert Encounters
Orchestral & Choirs
Orchestral & Symphony
Theatre Organ Magic
Template for the Total Presets Switches
Thomas Shevels has provided details for constructing a cardboard template to fit over the Total Presets switches on the left panel of the instrument.
These can contain the names of each batch of ten Total Presets provided within a Package. The number of Total Presets within each Package ranges from 20 to 50. Most have 40 to 50, using up four and five Banks of Total Presets respectively.
The template provided by Thomas can be downloaded here.
Below is an example Thomas has provided of the Orchestral & Choirs Package, Bank 5.
This example template can be downloaded as a “Word” document from here.
Big Band Vol.1
1. BB Vibes Solo Octave – Metallic vibes
2 Bigband Solo Vibes – Woody vibes
3. Bigband Brass 1 – Deep brass
4. Bigband Brass 2 – Loud. Medium brass
5. Bigband Ensemble Plus Vibes – Stringy brass
6. Bigband Ensemble 1 – Low brass
7. Bigband Ensemble 2 – Clarinet + brass
8. Bigband Fanfare + Clarinet – Granada style fanfare
9. Bigband Fanfare + Flute – Bert Kaempfert clarinet + brass
10. Brass Real + Brass Shake – Loud. Trumpet brass
11. Brass Real 2 + Shake – As 11. + echo
12. Breezy Clarinet – 'Windy' clarinet
13. Clarinet Stranger on Shore – Acker Bilk: Stranger on the Shore/Ebb Tide
14. Club Jazz Guitar – Jazzy guitar, LM has a piano sound
15. Coronation St. Brass – Corrie theme trumpet
16. Cup Mute Solo Trumpet – Sachmo: What a Wonderful World
17. Glen Miller 1 – Horn lead
18. Glen Miller 2 – Trombone lead. American Patrol [+ No.23]
19. Glen Miller Ballad – Loud. Stairway to the Stars/At Last
20. Glen Miller Brass + Reed – Loud. Chattanooga ChooChoo
21. Glen Miller Moonlight Serenade – Glen Miller: Moonlight Serenade
22. Glen Miller Reeds 1 – Loud. Pennsylvania 65000
23. Glen Miller Reeds 2 – Loud. In the Mood
24. Jazz Guitar + Django – Loud. 2 acc.guitars
25. Jazz Tenor Sax Solo – Deep, breathy Sax, LM has a piano sound
26. Jazz Trombone + Expression – Breathy trombone sound
27. Jazz Trumpet Solo Art-Shake – Loud. Breezy, Kenny Ball trumpet
28. Jazz Trumpet Solo – 'Fanfare for the Common Man' brass
29. Jazz Vocals Manhattan Harmony – Doooo 'choir' lead [Chanson d'Amore]
30. Jazz Vocals Scat – Duh lead [Cleo Lane]
31. Loose Sax + Brass – Loud. Johnny Dankworth sax
32. Loose Sax Trio – Loud. 3 saxes mix
33. Midnight Sax Solo – Soft, mellow sax. LM has a piano sound
34. Old Boogie Woogie Piano – Fats Waller, Fats Domino honky tonk
35. Soft Alto + Tenor Sax BigBand – 'Bye Bye Blues', low breathy sax
36. Soft Brass + Shake – Loud. Soft, medium brass
37. Swinging Flutes – Bert Kaempfert: Swingin'' Safari flutes
38. Trombone BigBand Cool Tutti – Loud. Trombone section
39. Trombone Tutti+BigBand Harmony – Loud. Brassy trombones
40. Trumpet Octave + Brass – Breathy trombones
You will obviously need to select a User area for saving these where there are 40
free consecutive 'slots' to keep them all together. As they are in User Groups, they
can be modified to suit your personal tastes.
Presets marked Loud all have their volumes recorded too high [in my humble opinion].
When switching to them, I also had to quickly reign-back several UM+LM Sound layer
drawbars; eventually I had to actually re-save nearly all these Presets in this
set without their volumes being 'ticked' [on the 2ndry page under Save Presets].
I think it might be better to leave this feature to the users own taste in future
Presets 17 to 23 are aimed squarely at Glen Miller fans and No.21 Moonlight Serenade
is particularly good but unfortunately lacks the correct rhythm unit Ending to the
song [this was available on the Wega/Spectra CD line card].
If you can play Swingin' Safari [which I cannot!] preset No.37 is ideal along with
the Kaempfert Swing rhythm.
Alternating Presets 30+35 produces a pleasing mix for Bye Bye Blues and similar songs.
The set is obviously going to prove very useful for those liking big band music by
Glenn Miller, Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk, Tommy Dorsey, Bert Kaempfert, James Last and
Overall, a wide selection of sound mixes, most quite complex.
Orchestral & Choirs
1. Expr. Orchestral Woodwind 1 - Loud. Medium woodwind oboe lead [e.g. Annies Song]
2. Expr. Orchestral Woodwind 2 - Loud. Higher woodwind mix X
3. Hollywood Strings - Useful for dramatic strings and blockbuster film music! X
4. Golden OAS Strings - Classical strings and more mellow sound
5. Grand Orchestra - Loud. Full orchestral mixture X
6. Expr. Grand Orchestra - V.Loud. As above with crossfade + echo
7. Philharmonic Orchestra 1 - Mixture of strings and flutey woodwind
8. Philharmonic Orchestra 2 - Similar to 7 but deeper
9. Expression Philharmonic Orchestra - V.Loud. As above with crossfade and flutey
10. Orchestra + Horns Section - Mellower stringy and horns
11. Sharp Strings Section - Sharper strings for staccato/allegro playing
12. Expr. String Trio - V.Loud. Violin, Viola + Cello with crossfade, Palm Court
13. Rich Classical Strings - Full medium classical strings
14. Rich Classical Suspense Strings - As above but deeper with added Tremolo
15. Rich Classical Bow Strings - Bowed string sound X
16. Expr. Classical Violin Solo - Crossfaded Violin solo + strings [e.g. Air on
a G. String]
17. Expr. Orchestral Oboe - Loud. Similar to 16 but using an oboe lead
18. Romantic Orchestra - Orchestra with a glockenspiel for John Williams type themes
19. Horn Section 1 - Trad. Horn lead plus oboe X
20. Horn Section 2 - Variation on 19 with echo
21. Cathedral Choir 1- Large full choir mixture - aah + choir
22. Cathedral Choir 2 - Variation on above - girl + choir
23. Soprano Choir + Tenor & Boys - Soprano chorale with Tenors + Boys vocals on LM
24. Boys Choir London Chorale - English boys choir - ooh choir
25. Boys Choir + Light Tenors - As above with added lower Tenor
26. Boys Choir Natural Chorale - Estonian boys choir with fade-in
27. Mens Classical Choir - Great for Welsh folk music - low aah X
28. Grand Cathedral Choir + Hall - 80 person choir - higher aah X
29. Grand Cathedral Full + Hall - Enlarged version - higher medium aah
30. Expr. Grand Cathedral Full - Heavy LM. As above with crossfade - deep choir
31. USA Preacher Choir Solo - USA Gospel music - girl sustain+aah
32. Gothic Movie Choir - Heavy LM. Dark music style [Lord of the Rings] - high aah
33. Hollywood Movie Choir - Heavy LM. Film scores - deep mixed choir
34. Grand Operatic Chorale - Heavy LM. Great for Sarah Brightman operatic songs +
35. Dramatic Opera Chorale - Loud. As above with added operatic choir, less vibrato
36. Time To Say Goodbye Choir - Sarah Brightmans classic hit, quite sharp
37. Female Angelic Choir - V.Loud. Female vocal group – ooo + fade-in aah
38. Female Hymn + WersiChord Hymn - As above ohh + fade-in girl and WersiChord Hymn
39. Expr. Plain Song Choral Hymn - Mellow chorale sound - monastery choir for Plainsong
40. Expr. Vocal Aspirational Choir - As above + tenors
41. Natural Classical Grand + Strings - Heavy LM. Softened Grand Piano and strings
42. Classical Piano + Strings Orchestra - Similar to above with violin
43. Concert Hall Grand Piano - Grand Piano [footswitch control for decay and softness]+
44. 2 x Concert Grand Virtuoso - 2 grand pianos together, 1 an octave apart
45. Viennese String Orchestra - Vienna style waltz sound - mellow
46. Strauss Orch Woodwind 1 - As above with added woodwind - piccolo
47. Strauss Orch Woodwind 2 - As above with added woodwind - flutey
48. Vienna Horns + Strings + Flute - As above with added brassy and horns
49. Viennese Fanfare Celebration - As above with added oomph - Strauss
50. Bohemian Solo Summer Horn - Prague style horns - mellow.
To save these, you will need to select a User area where there are 50 free consecutive
'slots' to keep them together. As they are held in User Groups, they can be modified
to suit your personal taste.
Presets marked Loud all have their volumes set high, so when switching to them, I
had to quickly reign-back several UM+LM Sound layer drawbars. I eventually had to
actually re-save these Presets without their volumes being 'ticked' [on the 2ndry
page under Save Presets]. As in the Big Band set, it might be have been better to
leave this feature to the users own taste. Cancelling the Dynamic seems to reduce
the loudness somewhat.
Those marked Heavy LM have a rather heavy, deep mixture on the lower keyboard I wasn't
too keen on and changed the 1st voice LM to Strings. Again, it is up to the users
Those marked Expr. employ expression crossfade [see related article on WersiClubUK
The Presets numbered 21-40 are all Choir selections. Most of these are excellent
and quite complex, the rest are assorted Orchestral mixtures.
No.3 is ideal for Big Country type film themes.
No.18 has a pleasant, flutey sound.
No.37 a Female Angelic Choir, is great for Bring Him Home type songs, very ethereal.
No.44 transforms your organ into 2 concert grand pianos with strings.
No.45-49 are great if you like Strauss style music.
No.50 is a mellow Bohemian horn ideal for the James Last version of Hey by Julio
[featured on James Last 'Viva Espana' DVD/CDs].
Overall a very useful set of Presets many of which are quite complex in construction
Many of the choir mixtures are excellent sounds and worth the money on their own.
List of Presets:
1. Andean Panflute - Sharp + deep
2. Attack Panflute - Slightly woody, mellow tone
3. Bass Panpipe - Deep + hollow tone
4. Breathy Panflute - Multiple mixture
5. Chillout Panflute - Same as 4. + echo
6. Eastern Panflute - Sharper tone + echo
7. Golden Gate Panflute - Mellow, deep + breathy sound
8. Haunting Panpipe 1 - Flutey quality
9. Haunting Panpipe 2 - Same as 8. + echo
10. Jameos Panflute - Claudia's cave panpipe!
11. Panflute 1 - Medium pipe sound
12. Panflute 2 - Similar
13. Panflute Double Set - 2 pipes, 2 tones
14. Panflute Echoes - Echoing pipes
15. Peruvian Panflute 1 - S.American, deep + echoing
16. Peruvian Panflute 2 - Similar, but even deeper
17. Pretty Panflute - Light, woody sound
18. Small Panflute - Light, mellow feel
19. Tibetan Panflute - Himalayan, distant feel
20. Zampona - Hollow, mellow sound
There is a full description of these on the supplied installation sheet from WersiUK.
No.1 is best for El Condor Passa
No.10 is for Claudia Hirschfeld's Jameos del Agua song
No.11 is useful for Last+Zamfir's Lonely Shepherd if you don't have the James Last
Another varied selection of Presets, all quite different and some complex. If you
play lots of Panflute type songs, these are well worth getting.
Reviews of the Software Expansion Packs
Below there is a set of reviews of some of the Expansion Packs (Wersi and Wersi Direct) produced for us by Thomas Shevels.
Where a particular Total Preset has been used to provide an mp3 demonstration on the Wersi Direct website, a link has been provided in the symbol X so you can hear what the Preset sounds like. (Not all demos included.)
List of Presets:
1. 70’s Clavinet - Metallic bell-like tone
2. Baby Grand Piano - Slightly woody tone, mellow
3. Bosendorfer - Light piano sound + mechanical hammer noise
4. California Pop Lounge Grand - Slightly vibraphonic sound
5. Concert Hall Grand 1 - Standard grand piano with strings X
6. Concert Hall Grand 2 - Similar to 5. with added soft grand
7. Elton 70's Grand - 'Ringing' piano sound
8. Eltons Red Piano - Sharper piano with tremolo
9. Fantasy E-Piano - Elec.piano with tremolo
10. Grand + Strings - Piano + bowed strings
11. Large Hall Concert Grand - Flugel piano + echo
12. New York Steinway 1 - 2 pianos, split UM
13. New York Steinway 2 - Single softer tone than 12.
14. Soft Elec Piano - Highly pitched elec.piano
15. Super Rhodes - Mellow Rhodes + slight, delayed Wah
16. Swedish Piano - Hard piano + echo
17. Sweet E-Piano - Mellow Elec.piano + long sustain
18. Sweet E-Piano Dreams - Deeper version of 17.
19. Vintage E-Piano Steel Hammer - Similar to 17. + echo + re-iteration
20. Vintage E-Piano - Medium elec.piano
Remember to select 20 free slots' in your database to store these all together.
Nos. 5, 6, 17 + 18 would suit Carpenters ballad music.
No.11 is great for Memory type songs.
No.16 is useful for ABBA songs.
A very eclectic mix of useful presets. The Concert Hall pianos are particularly good,
especially for those who enjoy more classical music. I also found the electric piano
Orchestral & Symphony
1. Brass Ensemble + Chromatic Percussion - Low horn + brass sound
2. Cello & Steinway - Deep cello + piano mix
3. French Horn + Brass 1 - Deep horns
4. French Horn + Brass 2 - Medium horns
5. French Horn Section - As 4. with echo
6. Grand Symph. Orchestra 1 - Sharp strings with vocal aah
7. Grand Symph. Orchestra 2 - Medium strings with vocal aah
8. Grand Symph. Orchestra 3 - Deep strings with vocal aah
9. Orchestra Power 1 - Orchestral horns
10. Orchestra Power 2 - As 9. with extra Brass
11. Pavane Orchestra - Flutey orchestral sound
12. Rich Symphonic Strings - Medium bowed strings
13. Rich Symphonic Strings 2 - Low bowed strings
14. Symph. Classical Violin - Violin solo + orchestra
15. Symph. Choir & Organ Tutti 1 - Deep church organ and strings
16. Symph. Choir & Organ Tutti 2 - As 15. but more flutey
17. Symph. Choir & Organ Tutti 3 - Higher octave version of 15.
18. Symph. Strings + Choir + Fr.Horns - Aah + string sound
19. Symph. Strings + Choir + Horns - Ohh + aah + strings
20. Symph. Strings + Choir - Aah + low strings
21. Symph. Strings + Church Organ - Throaty strings
22. Symph. Strings + Church + Oboe - Sharp oboe + church organ
23. Symphonic Cello + Viola - Deep strings
24. Symphonic Choir Grand 2 - Strings, aah + vocals
25. Symphonic Choir Grand 1 - Aah + vocals
26. Symphonic String Section - Violins + violas
27 Symphonic Violin (Expression) - Violins
28. Symphony Orchestra + Glockenspiel - Oboe, horns+ glockenspiel
29. Symphony Orch. 1 - Oboe + strings
30. Symphony Orch. 2 - Deep strings + horns
31. Symphony Orch. Brass Ensemble - Very deep sound
32. Symphony Orch. French Horns - Deep, mellow horns
33. Symphony Orch. French Horns 2 - Brassy horns
34. Symphony Orch. Horns + Harp - Medium horns + harp
35. Symphony Orch. Horns + Tremolo - Low brass + tremolo
36. Symphony Orch. Horns + Wind - Low brass + strings
37. Symphony Orch. Large Tutti 1 - Very low brass + strings
38. Symphony Orch. Large Tutti 2 - Medium version
39. Symphony Orch. Reed - 2 violins + oboes
40. Vienna Woods Zither - Light, mellow zither
You will obviously need to select a User area where there are 40 free consecutive
'slots' for saving these to keep them all together.
A few of these [6,22,33] are quite loud, so you may need to reduce their volumes
Others [2,8,15,23,30,32] are quite deep sounds, also loud.
The Presets numbered 18-20 & 24+25 are all selections with Choirs. Most of these
are very good and quite complex, the rest are mainly assorted Orchestral mixtures.
No.40 is ideal for the Third Man theme.
A very wide selection covering a wide range of sound types, there is something for
James Last Edition
Preset No.+ Name:
851 JL-Happy Music Organ - Bright trombones + brass X
852 JL-Hansi Rocks - As 851 + trumpets
853 JL-Doo Wah Diddy Organ - Sax, choir + aah
854 JL-Hey Baby organ - Sax, choir + trumpet X
855 JL-Hip Hop Polka 1 - Medium trumpet + brass
856 JL-Hip Hop Polka 2 - Lower trumpet + brass
857 JL-Mamma Mia - Mellow sax + brass
858 JL-Lonely Shepherd - Split panpipes, strings, brass X
859 JL-Epic Strings - Deep string orchestra
860 JL-Morriccone Vocal - Useful for 'Once Upon a Time in the West'
861 JL-Happy Hansi - Medium brass mix
862 JL-Dance Chorus - Aah choir
863 JL-Pulstar 1 - Trumpet brass
864 JL-Pulstar 2 - Trombone brass
865 JL-Mary Meets Hansi - Full brass
866 JL-Biscaya Organ - Accordion + strings X
867 JL-Hammond A Go Go - Drawbars + brass
868 JL-Happy Luxembourg - Brass
869 JL-Romantic Trumpets - Flugel type brass
870 JL-Symphonic Strings - Deep mellow strings
871 JL-Trumpet 1 - Trumpet mixture
872 JL-Trombones - Trombone mix
873 JL-Attack Strings - Medium strings + aah
874 JL-Strings 70 - Low strings
875 JL-Strings 2011 - Medium strings
876 JL-Vocal Classical - Aah, girl + vibrato
877 JL-Trumpet 2 - Light trumpet sound
878 JL-Brass - Sharp trumpet + brass
879 JL-Pokerface 1 - Deep aah
880 JL-Pokerface 2 - Full brass
881 JL-Happy Music Keyboard - High brassy sound
882 JL-Hip Hop Polka Intro - Low brassy mix
883 JL-Lonely Shepherd Keyboard - Zamfir panpipes
884 JL-Morning at 7 - Mellow brass + strings X
885 JL Games Lovers Play - Authentic Games mix
886 JL-Biscaya Keyboard - Accordion + strings
887 JL-Summer Place - Low mellow strings X
888 JL-Doo Wah Diddy Keyboard - Trombones, strings, aah + Duh
889 JL Hey Baby Keyboard - Sharp brass
890 JL-Over the Rainbow - Medium brass
No: Style name + Songs used for:
850 JL-Biscaya - Biscaya
851 JL-Lonely Shepherd - Lonely Shepherd [Einsamer Hirte]
852 JL-El Mucho - Besame Mucho, Spanish Eyes
853 JL-Games that Lovers Play - Games That Lovers Play
854 JL-Hansi feat. Mary - Marleen
855 JL-Happy Hansi - Traditionally Folk Songs
856 JL-Happy Luxembourg - Happy Luxembourg, A Night of Bliss
857 JL-Happy Music - Happy Music
858 JL-Happy Party Dance - Mamma Mia,Hey Baby,Doo Wah Diddy
859 JL-Hip Hop Polka - Modern Folk Music
860 JL-Irish Waltz - Mull of Kintyre
861 JL-Last Classics - William Tell
862 JL-Mornings at 7 - Mornings at 7
863 JL-Poker Face - Poker Face, Bad Romance
864 JL-Samba Parranda - Besame Mucho, Copacabana, El Cumbanchero
865 JL-Somewhere Swing - White Christmas
866 JL-Summer Place - A Summer Place
867 JL-Tango Argentina - Jealousy, Ole Guapa
868 JL-Tijuana Taxi - Tijuana Taxi, Spanish Flea
869 JL-Dreamboat Dinner - Dreamboat Dinner
These are Factory Styles and cannot therefore be altered and saved directly though
they could be saved as a new User style].
The song specific presets [858, 860, 866, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887] are very accurate
mixtures and sound very like the real orchestra. 885 Games Lovers Play along with
Style 853 is particularly good.
There are many typical JL mixtures here which are excellent and well worth the money.
Even if you do not play JL music much, they are going to be very useful mixtures
for many other songs.
Biscaya, Lonely Shepherd [Einsamer Hirte (Kill Bill film theme)], Games Lovers Play,
Mornings at 7 [BBC Ice Skating theme] are particularly excellent styles. The rest
are less specifically targeted and all could be used for other music quite easily.
Whilst quite expensive, this is probably one of the best software issues Wersi have
produced. There are, in addition:- 46 new sounds, 2 drumsets, 39 drum sounds,
3 sp.effects, 17 sound effects, 3 reverbs and 9 full song demos included.